Wednesday, September 9, 2009

In The Begining


The first project I ever built was in the fourth grade and I suppose I was ruined from that point on.

It all began as a forth grade class assignment in Social Studies, we were to serve an apprenticeship and then deliver a report on the experience. My parents contacted our neighbor, Jack Jones, who owned a construction company and made furniture as a hobby. I remember working with Mr. Jones as being awkward because I was a shy chubby little boy out of my element. I remember finishing the project and being so proud, I remember Mr. Jones suggesting that we distress the chest to make it look old and worn. I strongly objected to that Idea. I can also remember being in his shop working and watching. I remember making things in the following years and taking them to his house and being secretly eager to get his approval. I wish I wasn't so shy back then I could have learned so much from him.

This is where it all began with this one school project.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you included the school paper. Oh my goodness! That was so much fun to read! I love that shy kid, I think we had that in common. I thought (and still think) you're one of the finest people God created--flaws and all.

    ReplyDelete