Friday, September 4, 2009

Book Shelf: Experamenting with Form


This book shelf has been nagging me for several years. I drew it probably five years ago, and it has sat in the back of my mind since then. I do not contend that the design is original because nothing in this world is original. Everything is contextual, it either is influenced by something or a reaction to something else.

This bookshelf is a prototype, that being said it was a learning experience, next time I will be able to get a more dramatic bend out of the sides.

The bookshelf is constructed utilizing reclaimed oak fence boards from my family's homestead and the horizontal shelves are oak that was left over from my brother's abandoned remodel on his previous residence. I chose an Ebony stain to mask the grain pattern of the oak so that the lines of the shelf stood out and the eye would not be distracted by the beauty of the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment